KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
I upgraded my sons raptor 700 using the original battery and a power wheels battery. They both are 12v 12ah but they only last 20 to 30 minutes. Is this normal ? I thought you would get more run time. Also, does it matter the type of charger you use? I use my car battery charger on fast charge and I have tried slow charge. I am new to all this. His raptor only has High speed now and reverse the slow speed stopped. Is that a possible reason ? Please help and thanks so much
How many batteries do you have? It could be the battery you have is slowly dying now. I have my 12v 12ah battery that hold charge but only works for like 20 mins or so. I think you will probably end up buying new battery though.

The slow forward and reverse speed don't work would probably mean the shifter is dirty and need some clean up or could be lose wire somewhere.
Taking a voltage reading on each battery after the 20minute runtime is over may help you determine which one has the reduced capacity -- if one battery is <12V and the other one is still good (12.5+), then you've likely just got one bad one. If they're both low then you'll need to get a pair of new ones. Since the batteries are in series, once one gets low the whole ride will slow down (and if you keep running it without chargingf, it will damage that low battery).
So the charging with my car battery charger isn't the reason for the battery going so soon.? I have 2 different sets the power wheels battery from a dune racer and original ones that one came with the raptor and then aftermarket set that is 12v 7ah and it seems does it in both.

Is there any other way I can wire to get both speeds plus reverse?
boddkr wrote:Last time it started going slow like they were dead I voltage tested and showed both pulling 12v, but the raptor slowing. We live in mountains so that's why I am trying to speed up.

Curious to know about your terrain, is it mostly hills? if you have flat area, try running the pw on it for longer time to see if it goes slow also or when you climb up the hill. If you want more speed, I guess upgrading gearbox to higher pinion count would speed up the car and 775 motor.
I do live in mountains and he rides in our circle driveway that has rocks and hills. I did, however, take him to our walkway by the river which is flat terrain and concrete and didn't do too much better. I was running 12v to 7ah aftermarket then and thought that could be the reason. I am completely confused as to where to go now and my son is starting to not even want to ride anymore
:? ;)
Scanning through the posts I see a few problems. The main one is no low or reverse. That sounds like a bad motor. When in high does only one wheel spin? The run time sounds right for 24v (in series) but your batteries don't seem to be matched for amp hours (Ah). Stock power wheel batteries are 12v 9.5ah and stock raptor/kidswheels batteries are 12v 12ah. It's important to match the Ah as well as voltage. Charging: you don't want to charge the batteries at an amperage rate any higher than 1/3 of the amp hour rating. 1/4 the rate would be optimal. I.E. if you have a 12v 12ah battery you want to charge it at no more than 3-4 amps with 3 amps being optimal. Charging these small batteries at too high of an amperage will boil off the solution and kill your battery. Sometimes it will decrease the life of the battery or fry it altogether.

Please clarify if you have the batteries wired in series (24v for speed) or wired in parallel (12v for extended run time). Just want to make sure.
wired wrote:Charging: you don't want to charge the batteries at an amperage rate any higher than 1/3 of the amp hour rating. 1/4 the rate would be optimal. I.E. if you have a 12v 12ah battery you want to charge it at no more than 3-4 amps with 3 amps being optimal. Charging these small batteries at too high of an amperage will boil off the solution and kill your battery. Sometimes it will decrease the life of the battery or fry it altogether.

So what if you charge 4x12v 12ah batteries in parallel, then can you use higher amp charger to charge this since these would add up to 48ah and the 1/3 or 1/4 formula would give you around 12ah max for charger right? or you measure the max amp charger based on amp hour per battery? (i.e. you would still charge 4x12ah batteries at 3-4 amp total?)

Reason I ask is because I have 2 noco chargers with one at 3amp and one at 7amp so I can charger both 6v battery and 12v batteries at the same time using 1 charger for each voltage but I have 4 batteries for each voltage at 12ah each and I parallel them when charging. I am assuming the total ah is not based on the single battery ah hour regardless of setup unless you only have 1 battery to charge then 7ah charger is not optimal of course.
Yes, batteries charged in parallel are seen as a larger capacity (Ah) battery by the charger. You need to have matched batteries to do this properly. Charging batteries separately periodically will help prolong the life of the battery.

Similar situation:
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... ltaneously

Painting in progress

Need help with non powerwheels

There's no real simple answer here but you could a[…]

NEED HELP LOADING PICTURES

I’m new on this site and need help loading picture[…]

Hi All, Grandpa just got our 2 year old a Power W[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course