KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want something you MIGHT have. Willing to sell?
WTB: Stock Low hour Jeep Hurricane motor set

Hoping for a set that has been discarded for a upgrade with low use.

Any advice where a person could purchase a set of direct replacements?

Same turn voltage input rating, shaft length, metal backplate with internal fan.

Please send price shipped and a PayPal address.
TIA
Can you provide a model number for your hurricane? The decal is found in the battery compartment (if it's still there). The hurricanes had multiple model numbers and came with different motors/gearboxes (pinion). A part number from the gearbox and/or a tooth count from the motors pinion gear would help get you exactly what you are looking for.
wired wrote:Can you provide a model number for your hurricane? The decal is found in the battery compartment (if it's still there). The hurricanes had multiple model numbers and came with different motors/gearboxes (pinion). A part number from the gearbox and/or a tooth count from the motors pinion gear would help get you exactly what you are looking for.

Hi guys, thank you for the help, I would really like assistance on this issue please!

The motor I have is a 13 Tooth pinion. And I can easily pull the existing press fit pinion and add it to a correct length and diameter shaft replacement if there is a good option avalible?

Pic below of model: K7112-9993

Truthfully I would like to find a better solution than the stock motors...

The performance for us is fine, just cant get the durability we need out of them.

They keep burning out the brushes (the brush itself splinters and fractures completly)... They are too frail for our usage it seems...
Went through the stock motors fairly quickly.
Replaced them with Titans, and those went out very quickly under the same mode of failure.
Another set of random 540s and the same outcome.

Its a dual mode drive by wire/full RC with a Bluetop Optima cell.

My setup dictates I stay on 12Vdc motors if possible. And I plan to add more direct cooling to the motors to mitigate our obvious heat issues.

I am pretty sure it is the duration of the use that is creating the issues.

Do they have a motor that is perhaps a little larger to sink the extra energy? And would retain ~same speed and if anything perhaps a add a little torque, yet still a efficient option?

I ran a set of RC 27turn motors in there and the speed is slightly greater, not really noticeable, but power consumption far outweighed the benefit IMO.

Yeah, ditch the 5-series motors. It's pretty easy to add a 775 motor which will be 30-40% heavier with a corresponding increase in heat capacity, larger vents, and a larger case -- all improving the heat dissipation substantially. One option is a set of Four Nichibo 775-7013Fs from Jameco for $16 shipped to your door. They're basically the same speed as stock but will give you 33% more torque from 10% more current and they should hold up much better as they are heavier and have more dissipation area. Note that you'll need new pinions (5mm hole) and they MUST be 14T 32DP gears (the 13T that comes stock with the Hurricane is not a standard 32DP gear -- much like the 15T that come in the 15-16-17T gearboxes -- for more info, see this thread: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2773#p38580)

I put more information about the motor in this post:
http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7832#p146402

I've got 10 of these in operation right now, 4 in a Mustang, 4 in a F150, and 2 in a Jeep Hurricane (with the newer gearboxes, 16T pinions, running with a step-down controller at up to 22V). I've had no problems with longevity, whereas the Hurricane burned up a brand new stock-motored gearbox in about 45 minutes (at 20V, but on pavement with a pretty low current limiter...). I would expect them to have a long life at 12V.

You will need some long M4 screws, will need to file a flat on the motor shaft so the set screw has something to clamp on, and I strongly recommend fabricating a centering bushing if you have the tools, although feedback seems to be that many people run 775 motors without them:
http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21263&p=147743&hilit=Dune+Racer#p146948

Since you mentioned efficiency, I will say that you will take some hit at light loads, as the measured no-load 12V current I saw was ~2.1A for the Nichibo 775 motor vs. ~1.2A for the stock 550s. I've actually received two different styles of the motor from Jameco and the 2nd style consumes less -- around ~1.6A at 12V though I don't have a way to measure the torque or other performance parameters well enough to tell if there are any other differences.

That 1A difference at "no-load" may not show up as any difference when in actual operation as the Nichibo should be a few % more efficient under load, at least if you believe the motor curves for the Johnson HC683LG-001 that is the stock motor for most of these. The Nichibo's peak efficiency is 76% @ 121W output vs. 69% @ 70W for the stock one. Also, a cooler-running motor will be more efficient so the 775 should win out there (as the copper heats up its resistance goes up, which means you waste a higher % of the energy in the windings). Also, since the 775 motor will be using a 14T gear theoretically you'll have 6-7% increase in the top speed, which likely won't be noticeable. The motor's higher torque/amp (about 25% higher) vs. stock will more than make up for the gearing difference.

Did you figure out why you where blowing motors? […]

I don't own any PEGs so I can't give you a ready a[…]

Solar Panels?

If i have a 12V/20W solar panel with a 9.5Ah 12V P[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course