Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want to go faster.
Hello Everyone, firstly thanks in advance for any of your valuable help! I've successfully converted an old Barbie Jeep to 24v which had a single gear using 2 new power wheels branded batteries.

I thought I'd upgrade the kiddies to a F150 and on the first ride using 24v everything went very well. High gear and low gear worked and this thing was awesome! I never leave the batteries in the vehicle and always take them inside once the kids are done driving.

The next time I mixed up the wiring and there was a spark. There didn't seem to be any noticeable issues with any of the leads however when I wired the batteries up properly in high gear, the F150 would stop and start. In low gear everything was fine and it rode smoothly. Only in high gear would this stop and start happen.

I tried the following:
1. The gear boxes seem fine, there is no clunking sound
2. The batteries are fine. I tried using each battery in 12v only mode and the F150 ran perfectly in high and low gear
3. I also have a Powerwheels brand 6v battery and the F150 runs smoothly in high gear at 18v

So I'm thinking that spark did something but I just don't know what. Is it a fuse? Is it the switch (the high and low gear switch)? Is it the gear box? Is it the motor(s)? I don't want to be buying replacement parts one by one as I try to figure out where the issue is.

Just to add extra context if it helps, the kids don't ride the F150 for a very long period at a time so overheating at 24v is a minimal issue. I plan to replace the motors with 775s and a metal first gear if they ever go kaput as I've read that moving to 24v will tend to wear out the motors and strip the first gear. I also added bike treads to the wheels to increase traction and lower the noise from the F150 wheels.

If you are using stock powerwheel batteries, they have an internal self-resetting breaker inside them. It sounds like one of them is tripping due to the amperage increase running in high gear at 24 volts.

So one of the motors burned out on my kids Viper. […]

I have a Power Wheels Duner racer. I upgraded it t[…]

introduction

Hello everyone just getting into this new hobby an[…]

My kids birthday is coming up and I want to get hi[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course