KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
By jallison22
Question:

I have scoured the "Definitive Gearbox Thread" and everything else I could find on this site, and am still confounded by one issue: Gearbox identification for manufacturers OTHER than Power Wheels! I know everything I think i need to know about #3, #7, and #7R gearboxes, how to mod them, how to mount motors, select pinions, move mounting holes, etc.....but is any of that applicable or relevant if I have a garage full of mostly Rollplay and Kid Trax vehicles?

Or am I stupid for even asking this question, because this website is modifiedPOWERWHEELS.com and thus any other manufacturers are beyond its scope?

Can anyone clear this up for me????

Thanks!

Justin
Attachments
IMG_1443.jpg
IMG_1443.jpg (511.79 KiB) Viewed 521 times
IMG_8352.JPG
IMG_8352.JPG (423.66 KiB) Viewed 521 times
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg (408.04 KiB) Viewed 521 times

By Hammer-fm
I have only a garage full of Powerwheels stuff at this point; on the plus side this means I have lots of spares and it's easy to interchange a lot of parts, but I've had very limited experience with any other brand.

Some of the gearbox-specific stuff obviously won't be applicable, but threads like the motor database are certainly still relevant, and to some extent the same principles apply for upgrades regardless of maker. Best bet most of the time is to take apart what you've got -- motor sizes, speeds, and gear arrangements are determinable with a few measurements, and you can determine reasonable upgrade paths from there. Good luck!
By jallison22
that's about what I expected, thank you Hammer. If anyone would know, i think you would! Appreciate the help, and always enjoy reading your posts on here.

Justin
By CJB
I have a kid trax firetruck but when one gearbox went out I just swapped them both with new ones I acquired from another member (who come to think of it, I owe a TurboTimer or two in return but I can't remember his name so if you read this, hit me up). Never opened them up to really evaluate the insides.
By jallison22
CJB wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:34 am I have a kid trax firetruck but when one gearbox went out I just swapped them both with new ones I acquired from another member (who come to think of it, I owe a TurboTimer or two in return but I can't remember his name so if you read this, hit me up). Never opened them up to really evaluate the insides.
Thank you guys! Very helpful!
Trailers

Sounds awesome! I just ordered everything to male[…]

Volts/ current regulator

Hi all, I’m new I have a lightning McQueen[…]

Peg Perego axle diameter

The axle rod is 7/16. I just replaced one with a t[…]

Just converted a Peg Perego Gator and tractor to u[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course