KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new motors? Grind a gearbox? Adding teeth to a pinion?
By Unicav
Just picked up a Lil F150 yesterday. Nothing wrong except a worn out original battery. I cut the box out and stuck a 12V 18ah in and it ran like fire for about an hour until it started slipping. I've looked through the forums on 3B Gearboxes and I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on if it's possible to run these on 12v? Can I put 775 motors on a new factory 3B or will they still tear the gearbox up at 12v?

By CJB
The problem I've seen most with the #3 boxes is the plastic rod holding one of the gears in place wears out and allows the gears to slip. There was a mod on the old forum about using some shoulder bolts from Fastenal to mount the gears on.

Alternatively there is also some write ups on how to modify the GB openings of the tub to accommodate a #7 which I think is the better way to go.
By Unicav
As cute as it was watching one of the kids run laps around another one driving the big F150, I think I'm just going to put stock back in this one because it's only going to be for the 3 youngest to drive, so slow and steady would be the ticket. At this point I just need to find a better battery than the stock 6V so it will run longer.
By Unicav
So guys what about a 12V to 6V step down converter? That would allow me to use my better charger and the battery I already modified the box for. Would that still give me way more run time than finding another 6V or would the step down eat up too much power? Otherwise how big a 6V battery can I get? The one I put in the truck is a 12V 18ah. I swapped it out of the bigger F150 for 2 x 12v/20ah in parallel . That one will take 3 or 4 visits with the grandkids running up and down the trails. The only problem I have with it is traction.
By Unicav
After a lot of shopping and contemplating yesterday I ordered a 30A motor speed controller. I've already fitted the battery box for a 12V 18ah battery and just don't want to buy another 6V and have to deal with the extra charger. If this works I can dial the voltage down to a safe level, and it appears to have a braking circuit as well, plus standard 30A automotive fuse. Should do the trick!
By Unicav
Just to close this thread out properly, Got my new gearboxes and motors from ML Toys and installed.
I also installed this little 12V speed controller and it works great. For a simple 6-12V conversion it's perfect. I have it cranked down to a proper speed for the smallest grandkid to operate and can turn it up as desired but still keep it to the point it doesn't strip the gearboxes out. The braking circuit does not do the same thing as the braking module from ML Toys, but not needed on this little guy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T9 ... UTF8&psc=1
20190811_155349.jpg
20190811_155349.jpg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 91 times
20190811_155356.jpg
20190811_155356.jpg (881.09 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Volts/ current regulator

A PWM ( pulse with modulator) will do the trick it[…]

Trailers

Sounds awesome! I just ordered everything to male[…]

Peg Perego axle diameter

The axle rod is 7/16. I just replaced one with a t[…]

Just converted a Peg Perego Gator and tractor to u[…]