HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
for 12v vehicles that NEED to be upgraded to 18v
By lawman
Hello question? MY neighor gives me tonight older power wheels 4 wheeler great shape for free!!!Thing is it has the two red 6volt batteries in it. Was thinking about going to 18volt on it or at least 12volt so i can run the same battery as my other rides. Has anyone seen or is there a way to run 1 12 volt gray battery and split power for this to work. Or can i run 18 volt with 3 batteries in this setup,looking for some insight before i buy anything i no this is the place to ask, TKS!!!!
By jparthum
Generally speaking, if there are only two wires connecting the batteries to the vehicle, you can add another 6V in Series with the existing 12V, or replace with any combination of batteries to reach 18V. Two exceptions to this are, if there are four wires connecting the batteries to the vehicle, or if the motors are connected to a circuit board.

Do you know which make/model it is?
By lawman
Hello it is a Power Wheels says on sticker under seat Kawasaki Ninja and under that says 74590-9993. There are two 6 volt red batteries under seat each battery has two wires that go into machine so 4 total. Im guessing running 12 volts instead of 6 would burn up motors pretty quick. Any ideas on how go up power wpuld be great!!! Thanks!!
By jparthum
OK, yours is wired like this...

Click to animate.

It runs 6V in LOW and REVERSE, and 12V in HIGH - it should take 18V without any problems. I think the easiest way to add an additional 6V battery, would be to tap into the loop on the top pins of the HIGH/LOW Switch. This will give you 18V in HIGH gear, but LOW and REVERSE will remain 6V.

Basically, you would remove the existing loop and run a wire from one switch pin to the new 6V battery Negative, then a wire from the other pin to the Positive. The polarity needs to reversed when attaching to the battery (Neg to Pos / Pos to Neg), but if you get it backwards, HIGH gear simply won't work (nothing will be damaged). So you can just connect it, try it, and switch the wires at the battery if necessary.

I think the simplest method for making these connections, would be to use jumper wires between the switch and harness, as 12VWiz shows in this diagram...

NOTE: The diagram below does not show the correct LOCATIONS to connect the wires for your vehicle, this simply shows the best METHOD to use for the description above.

For your mod, there will be six pins instead of three as shown in 12VWiz's diagram. The top pins of the switch do not need to be connected back to the harness. So you would make four Male to Female jumpers to connect the bottom and middle pins from the switch back to the harness, in the same location they originally were, then create two Female to Female jumpers to connect the top pins of the switch to your new 6V battery (actually three jumper wires to include a fuse or breaker ;) ). This method also makes it very simple to revert back to stock, as no factory wiring or components need to be altered. 8-) You should use 14AWG or larger (lower number) wire, and be sure to add a fuse or breaker - 30A should be fine. :)
Last edited by jparthum on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By lawman
Thats awesome!!!! I am gonna get batteries today. 1 question, ideas on how to charge them all. The machine currently has stock charger that came with it so u can charge the two batteries at once by unplugging them and plugging both into charger but would like a bettter setup easier and probably gonna wire a plug so i do not have to take off seat,Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!
By jparthum
Yes, but it gets a little more complicated :? ...

Click to animate.

You would need two additional shifter switches from a PWs or Peg, and you would need to ensure that the HIGH/LOW switch is in LOW, or fuse(s) will blow. :|
Last edited by jparthum on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By lawman
OK I was with you until that last diagram LOL. Could i put switches on batteries or another way to charge instead of adding all these extra switches??? I was thinking just 3 cigarette plugs out the back or something similiar.I had asked in another post about charging my mustang this way and was told it was ok, just looking for my ideas!!Thanks!
By taz11
Check this thread out......I believe your model has the required plug.

http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=558
By jparthum
lawman wrote:OK I was with you until that last diagram LOL. Could i put switches on batteries or another way to charge instead of adding all these extra switches???
Not sure I'm following you here. You could just wire each battery to it's own switch, but you would then need three switches instead of two.
I was thinking just 3 cigarette plugs out the back or something similiar.I had asked in another post about charging my mustang this way and was told it was ok, just looking for my ideas!!Thanks!
This older model switches the batteries between Series and Parallel, instead of switching the motors like the Mustangs do - this is what makes charging in Parallel more complicated. You could wire a separate charging port to each battery, but you would either need to charge each battery individually with a 6V charger, or make a 'three into one' adapter to connect one 6V charger to all three ports simultaneously. The latter would still require the batteries to either be disconnected from the vehicle, or the HIGH/LOW switch placed in LOW before charging. :(
By jparthum
taz11 wrote:Check this thread out......I believe your model has the required plug.

http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=558
Good point Taz, I forget about those lockout circuits :? .

@lawman: If yours has the connector that Taz is referring to, you can connect the third battery to those, instead of making 6 jumper wires. 8-)
Last edited by jparthum on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By lawman
Wow Thanks everyone for the help!!! I guess the only thing I am still not getting is why can I charge my mustang with a cigarette plug in dash "not putting in a switch to turn on power" and not do the same with the quad by running 3 plugs to rear of machine? Again thanks for all the input this site is awesome!
By jparthum
I don't know any details about the Mustang setup to give you any kind of comparison, but this quad's shifter changes how the batteries are connected to each other, while newer ride-ons (like the Mustang) do not. The factory Mustang wiring is like this...

Click to animate.

And maybe I'm not following your train of thought very well :? . Why do you want three charging ports on the quad? If you plan to charge each battery individually, then three ports with no switches will work fine.
By jparthum
OK, I found your Mustang thread - you're charging one battery with one charger, both of which are the same Voltage, and neither can be changed by the shifter. In the quad, you have two batteries and are looking to add a third. Each battery is 6V, so when connected is Series they combine to become a 18V battery (3 X 6V = 18V). To charge all three batteries simultaneously with a single charger, you would need either an 18V charger or a 6V charger - but either way, the shifter would need to be in the correct 'gear' so the batteries are connected together either in Series or Parallel...

By lawman
Yes, i was thinking 3 cig plugs maybe in back just to make it quick and easy.Still gotta see if this one has plastic gears in it as discussed in other threads. If it does i may put this extra battery I bought today in the Mustang instead.You got me thinking though if i put the Mustang to 18volt by adding a 6 volt battery to that im gonna have to figure out how to charge that one,Is there a decent 6 volt to charge extra battery if i do the mustang or is buying a 18volt smart charger what you reccomend? Im thinking i like idea of 1 plug "Making sure its in High of course.I bought the new smart charger from fisher price for mustang seems to work good and fast but its for 12volt of course. Thanks for all the help, boy this is addicting LOL.
By jparthum
If you use three charging ports, you'll either need to charge each battery individually (one battery per charger), or you could make a three-into-one adapter, so one charger could simultaneously charge all three - but that would require three female ACC adapters, three male ACC adapters, plus extra wires/connectors ...and, you would still need to ensure that the vehicle is not in HIGH gear before connecting the three-in-one adapter. :|

And yes, if you add a second battery to the Mustang, you'll have a similar issue when charging. :?

These are both excellent chargers that are compatible with both 6V and 12V batteries (separately), and are also 'maintainers'. With either of these, you can leave the batteries connected indefinitely and the charger will keep them in peak condition. The main difference between these is that the more expensive (second) one will charge faster...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=schumacher+6v+12v&hl=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3374841030773664129&sa=X&ei=fO8hTuGDEanf0QGtgvCgAw&ved=0CH0Q8wIwBg

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=schumacher+6v+12v&hl=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16877539108589065134&sa=X&ei=fO8hTuGDEanf0QGtgvCgAw&ved=0CFoQ8wIwAQ
By lawman
Thanks for all the help, I wired that thing 18volts today was easy, Holy f is it fast.Still thinking about a charger and which way im gonna go with that. 1 More question can u point me to a link or suggest motors ,gearboxs for that thing. I wanna upgrade no that im running 18volts. That thing does awesome donuts now kids love it!!Thanks!!
By dozer
sorry to put the brakes on but he said 4 wires from the red batteries.
how many wires go from the vehicle plug into the machine.
Do 4 wires go into machine.
Or 2 wires go into machine and 1 wire jumps from 1 side of plug to the other.
Last edited by dozer on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jparthum
@dozer: Using improvised punctuation/capitalization, here is how I read his response...
There are two 6 volt red batteries under seat. Each battery has two wires that go into machine - so 4 total.

@lawman: I don't know much about motor upgrades. I've learned a little on this forum, but it's not something I've personally attempted :? - dozer would be able to offer more insight on this 8-) . One point of clarification though - you stated:
I wanna upgrade now that I'm running 18volts.
Just keep in mind that the Voltage upgrade has already increased the amount of current (Amperage) that your wiring and switches must now handle. Upgrading to higher Wattage motors will increase the amount of current even more, and may require upgrading your wiring to a larger gauge, as well as supplementing some (or maybe all) of your switches with Relays. :|
By lawman
Thats fine i would like to continue to upgrade as mentioned. Anyone have ideas or what i should do next motors,gearbox etc? Where should i start? Thanks!!!
By lawman
Ok finnally almost done with this project. The charger i bought the schumaker recommended above i like but will not work due to the fact i used 6 volt relays that need a true ground to flip when u charge it.Anyway i have a 6 volt charger from I think an old power wheels and its a 500mah. Anyone no is this enough to charge 3 6 volt batteries or is it gonna take forever. Im not sure how much Mah the new 6 power wheels charger is. Anyone have an idea on this? Thanks!!
By gage
there is an expencive charger out there that i use its mainly used for rc cars. a venom charger will charge anything 6v, 12v, 18v, and any kind of battery. it will shut off when battery is fullly charged and tell u if ur battery is anygood or if its junk. but they are like 80 to 160 for a venom.

Sounds like the switch. Pop it out and test with a[…]

The project is picking up pace. The 1" tubes […]

Hey guys, it's been a while. Things got really bus[…]

PW Corvette help

So I bought a Black PW Corvette from craigslist, t[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course