HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Anything that doesn't fit somewhere else & general forum updates
By c.grex
Just wondering if anybody can help with the size of the Gaucho?

I'm looking to buy one and I'm going to travel 50 miles to pick it up, but I have limited space in my car.

I have been given these sizes for the Jeep:
- lenght 52"(132cm)
- widht 36"(92cm)
- height 39"(98cm)

Lenght is not a issue but height and widht are:

my car:
- widht 40" (105cm) at the botttom narrowing to 35" at the top (I think this would be wide enough for the wheels at the bottom and wide enough at the top?
-height 29.5" (75cm)

If I was to take the roll cage off and possibly the windsheild, would I fit it in?

thanks in advance for any replys.
Last edited by c.grex on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeah I just checked with the size of ours & that is the correct size you were given, your will have to also take out the seats which is very easy only two screws , Like you said take off the roll bar & windscreen very easy. It looks like the steering wheel would be about 79cms high give or take a cm so you may need to also take off the steering wheel.
By Racer X
Take a socket set and a pair of pliars.

Taking the wheels offs only takes about 1 minute per wheel, but it will give you a a lot of extra clearance. I do not remember what size nut is on the wheel. The socket alone will work with the front tires, but the back are on an axle so you need the pliars to hold one wheel while you take the other one off (can be done with just one person).

Leave the last rear axle nut on. pull the tire and axle off and put the other three tires on the same axle rod and throw the whole thing in your trunk. I have hauled several gaucho's in my back seat that way.

Racer X
By c.grex
hypo21 wrote:What kind of car is it?
It's a Ford Kuga.

pretty sure you don't have them in US. we can't afford to run big monsters like you lot :D fuel is nearly $11 a gallon over here now! :o

I never thought about taking wheels off, I'll take a socket set and a few other bits with me.
By mjh1
Hello all,
apologies for digging up an old topic but....
I've just bought my boy a Sivler Gaucho and need to collect it!!
Here it is!!!
Does anybody know if it will fit into the back of an Audi A4 Avant (Estate)?
I've look all over the web and can't find any dimensions, just the capacity in litres.
Obviously I could measure my boot, but I'm over 250 miles away from the car for the next few days and need to arrange a more suitable car it it won't fit.
Anybody had a Gaucho in the back of an A4 Avant before?
I know I can take the wheels/screen/cage off, but am still worried.
Thanks in advance,
Mike.
By dasilva100
mjh1 wrote:Does anybody know if it will fit into the back of an Audi A4 Avant (Estate)?
Hello Mike, First of all that's not a gaucho silver, is a gaucho A151, a bit older than silver but still good find... I doubt it would fit on the back of your A4.... The gauchos are aprox 4' long, 3' high and 3'wide... Probably you can make it fit removing the winshield, rollbar and maybe the seats; for that you just need a phillips screwdriver and takes no more than 10 mins.
If not just take a good set of straps and put it on the roof... I do that all the time.

By Racer X
If you are prepared to really take it apart you can probably make the magic work. As stated before I know you will need to tale all the wheels off. The roll cage and the front windshield (that should be enough to get it into a 1999 Chysler 300M -- That's what I have and I have used it to haul several Gaucho's that way).

Everything really hinges on how wide and high your back door is and the clearance from the seat and the door opening. If you can not get it in at that point, you have a lot of work ahead of you. You will need to seperate the seats, body and floor pan. The hardiest part is getting the fornt turn single lights off so you can seperate the body and floor pan. Once you have everything apart you should be able to get it in. Search through the threads and read about how to get at the turn single screws. I have taken one Gaucho fully apart and I just remember it took me a very long (and frustrating) time trying to figure out how to do it. I had a Gaucho Grande so everything may be completely different on your modeal, but I want you to be prepared for the worse.

Take a socket set (get a second driver if you can), a pair of pliers or vice grips, a phillps screw driver and a small blade regular screw driver. Armed with those items you should be able to perform the required surgery. I always take some sandwhich bags with me for the screws.

If you can find a minivan or pickup truck you will make your life a lot eaiser.

Racer X
Last edited by Racer X on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By mjh1
Hello again everyone, and special thanks to Dasilva100 and RacerX for the prompt replies!!!
I read enough to make me concerned enough to not make the 300 mile round trip twice, so went in the father in laws' people carrier!
All I had to remove was the roll bar, and it went in easy (with a UK Vauxhall Meriva).
I fear that it would have been a great deal more like Mr RacerXs' description in the A4, these things are really quite big!!
Okay, so now I've got it home, and realised actually how old it is, I'm amazed that I managed to get all the lights working, even the brake lights, and the motors.
The car itself is in amazing condition, and I'm very happy with it.
Just one question (for now...), I have connected a "normal" 12v battery to either the top 2 connections on the proper Peg Perego battery plug, or the bottom 2. On either pair, all the lights work, and so do the motors.
Ony thing is, the motors seem quite lazy in both forward and reverse gears, although that could be due to them not moving for years, literally! The longer I spin them, the quicker they seem to get, so could be fixing itself....
It could also be that the brakes are binding slightly?
The question is here..... how come all the lights go out, and the motors stop when I try to go into 2nd gear.
I have checked the gear selector restrictor, and that in the correct position (otherwise I don't think it would even go in....) but everything stops as soon as 2nd is engaged.
I have read something in the manual, and it refers to changing a plug under the bonnet that I cannot even locate.
I know it's on the left (as looking in the bonnet/hood) but there are no plugs to change!!!
Anybody seen this newby/fundamental blunder before?
Thanks in advance,
Mike.
Last edited by mjh1 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By sea_stork
There's always a way... :lol:
loadofPWs.JPG
Mustang rode in the back seat on it's side.
loadofPWs.JPG (74.61 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
By dasilva100
mjh1 wrote:Just one question (for now...), I have connected a "normal" 12v battery to either the top 2 connections on the proper Peg Perego battery plug, or the bottom 2. On either pair, all the lights work, and so do the motors.
Ony thing is, the motors seem quite lazy in both forward and reverse gears, although that could be due to them not moving for years, literally! The longer I spin them, the quicker they seem to get, so could be fixing itself....
It could also be that the brakes are binding slightly?
The question is here..... how come all the lights go out, and the motors stop when I try to go into 2nd gear.
I have checked the gear selector restrictor, and that in the correct position (otherwise I don't think it would even go in....) but everything stops as soon as 2nd is engaged.
I have read something in the manual, and it refers to changing a plug under the bonnet that I cannot even locate.
I know it's on the left (as looking in the bonnet/hood) but there are no plugs to change!!!
Anybody seen this newby/fundamental blunder before?
Thanks in advance,
Mike.
That model is recalled... I have had some of them and I always ask peg perego to send me a recall kit for free... After installing the kit there is a biiiig diference. The older wires create lots of resistance. I do believe the model you got has a plug for two 6volts batteries?? Can you put a pic of the battery connector to know exactly what we are we talking about?

Nice pic Sea... that's the attitude!!!
By taz11
+1

High resistance in the wires.....common on OLD rides. I would get the recall kit or get a single 12v harness out of a newer gaucho. Keep in mind that the new harness will eliminate the lights. You can tie them back in yourself with little effort.
By Racer X
+1

High resistance in the wires

I would also order the recall kit regardless (I just like getting free stuff), however, this may be a good time to consider switching to a PW set up.

It may make some of your future mods a little eaiser, will keep you from having to open her back up later and putting in a PW harness later and you could still tie your lights back into it. Keep in mind that all four of my Gaucho's have an original harness in them and that I have never actually switched one over (although I do have PW harness that I am suppose to use on one of them), but I have read a ton of threads were other builders swear by that particular modm (do a quick search and be your own judge).

Just something to consider

Racer X
Last edited by Racer X on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
By mjh1
Hello and thanks again for the prompt replies!!!!
Here is a pic of the connector...

I hope it is the recall version!!
How do I go about getting a replacement kit (if it's the one that is subject to the recall)?
I live in the UK, are there any dealers over here, or is it just as easy to get it from wherever?

With regards to a PW conversion, what exactly is that going to do for me?
I do plan on performing quite a few mods in the future, but mayve the recall kit just for now?
I've made a little progress today, and taken apart and cleaned/greased the rear part of the car.
It seems that the brakes were binding slightly, they turn a little better now, but still no second gear.
I'm also a bit concerened with the steering, as there is quite a bit of movement in the wheel before anything happens at the wheels.
It seems that the column is shifting at the bottom of the body 1st, then moving the wheels.
Looks like it needs a collar around it or something.

Thanks again all.
Mike.
Last edited by mjh1 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
By dasilva100
Good news and bad news... good ones: you have the recalled connector... Bad ones: I'm prety shure the recall applies only foor US an Canada... You should call them anyways... You have to call peg perego directly... look on their webpage to see wich office is the closest one to you.
That connector is for two 6v batteries one would go connected to the red an black and the other one will go on the blue/yellow.... I think yellow will be positive.
I don't know how are you connecting the 12v battery but without modding the wiring, you cannot get 1st, 2nd and reverse with a single 12v batt.
By mjh1
Hmm, that is bad...
I've been getting forward and reverse by simply connecting the 12v battery onto either pair of the connectors.
Top 2 or bottom 2.

Would anybody over the pond be interested in pretending that my Gaucho was theirs, and getting the recalled part,
then sending it over to me? Obviously I'd be happy to pay.
Maybe we could get the rear light covers, gaucho badges and wheel bearings that I need too?
Thanks,
Mike.
Last edited by mjh1 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Racer X
Dasilva100 would probably be your best help getting your recall parts (sorry to put you on the spot like that Dasilva), but if no one else will give you a hand I am willing to try (keep in mind I have never submitted anything for recall).

I think I may have the other parts you need as well (rear light covers, and a gear box off a A151). Again, if it were me, I would beg Dasila100 because he is really in touch with the Peg Perego line of products (I am just a dabbler).

Racer X
By mjh1
Thanks very much Racer X.
I really do appreciate that, and I'll be sure to take you up on the offer if Dasilva100 is unable to assist.
Really, all I need is the replacement wiring loom, so if anyone can help getting that, I'd really, really appreciate it (probably more than my son at the moment, as he doesn't even know about his Gaucho yet!!)

Eventually though, I'm going to need....
4*Spark plug leads
Tools and 1 of the tool holders that fasten under the bonnet/hood,
2*Gaucho logos (front and rear ones)
4*wheel bearings.
2*mirror lenses.
I've looked on the Peg Perego Parts (tiger imports) web page, and a lot of the stuff listed above is no longer available, so it seems that used is the only option.

Thanks again all, and here's hoping....
Mike.
By Racer X
MLTOYZ should be able to help you out with most of your missing parts (there is also a 10% discount for MPW members - or at least there use to be). If you end up needing me to help send me a PM (I do not always check the board -- I have gone long stretches without signing on at all now that I have pretty much wrapped up my projects).

I would also send a PM to Dasilva and Hootie (owner of ML-Toyz) to make sure they know you are looking for their help.

Racer X
Last edited by Racer X on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By dasilva100
Yes, no problem (no worries Racer)... I could try to get one new harness for you... I'm not sure how much will be the shipping from Canada to UK though.... Send me a PM with your complete address and I could quote the shipping from here... Peg perego gives the recall kit for free but they charge for shipping... last time it was around 14 dollars... so If I can get it I just charge you for that and the shipping to uk...
MLTOYS could help with parts but if you don't find what you need try calling peg perego Canada and ask for the parts you need and if they have them I could order them for you and put them in the same parcel...

Let me know
By mjh1
UPDATE!!!!!!
Okay, I've removed the full wiring harness today (but left in the lighting wiring).
I know lots of poeple have said the low voltage to my motors is due to high resistance in the wires, but I've measured them all and they seem fine.
What's more, with all the wiring/dash/battery etc mocked up on my lounge floor, the motors are recieving a good 12.6 volts when the throttle is pressed.
Just one thing still confuses me however, how the devil were these things wired up with 2*6v batteries?, and is there something simple I can do to eliminate the need for the 2*6v, and use a single 12v?
Help please everyone!!!!
By dasilva100
mjh1 wrote: Just one thing still confuses me however, how the devil were these things wired up with 2*6v batteries?, and is there something simple I can do to eliminate the need for the 2*6v, and use a single 12v?
Help please everyone!!!!
You can try Taz's "Harness Flip" IMO it's the easiest/cheapest way to convert 2x6v to 1x12v. I have done it to a couple Bpro's and it works like a charm..

Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2524
By mjh1
Hello all,
just to let everyone know, that with just 5 mins of work;

Remove the Windscreen (2 screws)
Remove the seats (2 thumbscrews)
Remove the mirrors (simply pull out)
Remove the Steering Wheel (1 Screw)

A Gaucho A151 will even fit into the back of a small hatchback (in this instance, a current shape VW Polo!!!!)

See!

By Whitepup
Very nice!!!
By mjh1
Oh, sorry yes.
The rollbar had to come off too, I'd already removed this a while ago...
Just 4 or 6 more screws, still do-able in 5 mins!!!!
Thanks Aussie Darren, it is in amazing condition considering it's age, the brake shoes have almost no wear on them at all!!

It's going to be upgraded to 24v with a scooter controller and hall effect throttle (copied from Davinar), my son is going to love it, almost as much as I do!!
Last edited by mjh1 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By MuscleFlex
Is bumping old threads allowed? i figured this thread is already established with regards to sizing that I can add my experience

I picked up a Gaucho Rockin today in York (UK) from Leeds.. around 30 miles away. I used a neighbor's 2003 Volvo V40.
I did see this thread last night before I picked the Gaucho up this morning and I asked the seller to remove the rollcage and the windshield. I brought tools with me in case I needed to remove the wheels as well.
The car just about fitted in the back of the estate. I had to squeeze it in as the wheels were too wide and hit the sides of the inside of the Volvo but it fitted fine.

Oh I had to remove the steering wheel. I know nothing about these Gauchos and this particular one came with just a thick wire across the steering wheel column instead of a screw that people talk about.
Can anyone please tell me what size screw I need so I can replace this with a proper screw to lock the steering wheel into the column?
I will post photos in a bit. My phone is currently charging.

I saw that they sell 24 volt motors on Amazon they[…]

So I saw on Amazon that they sell 24v gears it say[…]

Batmobile- 1992 Power Drivers

I'd try to plastic weld the cracks, pretty easy to[…]

Plasti-dip

I wouldn't recommend it. I've dipped my Hayabusa […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course