KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Have you added running lights? Headlamps? Perhaps some spinners?
By asanjayf
Hi All,
This is my first post on this site with the mods I have added to my Son’s Ford F150 Raptor, which I bought for him for his 2nd birthday last January. Although I feel he’s still too small for it, he loves it very much. He’s not a very good driver yet, he cannot coordinate steering & accelerator both at the same time that well, but nevertheless I let him drive under supervision & a bit of guidance. I came across this site quite by accident & since then I have being browsing all you professionals’ neat mods & thought I could do some my own. Following are the mods I have added to the truck over a period of 2-3 months. Appreciate your feedback, thoughts & comments; also any new suggestions.

1. Remote kill module & on-dash indicator – This helps me to be in control of where & how far he can ride :D
1.JPG
1.JPG (78.7 KiB) Viewed 12323 times
2. Real ignition key – Replaced the fake plastic key with a real key unit where he can switch ON to ‘power up’. However he can power up with the key ONLY if I have switched on with the remote :D
3. Digital Battery Gauge – This lights up when the truck is switched ON by the key
2&3.JPG
2&3
2&3.JPG (56.35 KiB) Viewed 12323 times
4. 6v Horn (& a hidden switch to OFF it when it gets too annoying :P)
4.JPG
4.JPG (96.59 KiB) Viewed 12323 times
5. Lights – Headlights (2x10 white LED lights with 2 mini blue lights)
6. Lights – Undercarriage lights (2x16 white LED strip lights under the side steps)
7. Lights – Police Strobe lights (Red & Blue strobe lights in front & rear)
5, 6 & 7.JPG
5, 6 & 7
5, 6 & 7.JPG (60.25 KiB) Viewed 12323 times
8. Lights – Interior & on Dash lights (Blue strip lights to light up interior)
8.JPG
8.JPG (68.43 KiB) Viewed 12323 times
9. All lights controlled by individual switches
9.jpg
9.jpg (109.24 KiB) Viewed 12323 times
10. Realistic Adjustable Seat belts – Made with 1.5 inch navy blue luggage straps
10.jpg
10.jpg (82.92 KiB) Viewed 12323 times
11. Traction Bands – Made with 12.5 inch bicycle tubes
11.JPG
11.JPG (66.46 KiB) Viewed 12323 times
12. All lights & horn powered by separate 2x6v batteries
13. Side view mirrors – Pasted real mirrors to replace the stickers
13.jpg
13.jpg (60.56 KiB) Viewed 12323 times

By bruces_eviltwin
awesome work! I really like the seat belts thats a great idea! how did you anchor them?
By LiftedUp
Looks really slick! What'd you use for the police strobe lights? Did you purchase a kit with the electronics in it, or did you wire it yourself? How about for the headlights?
By asanjayf
@ bruces_eviltwin
Seat belts - I anchored the shoulder strap by removing the seat & to the nut that hold the head-rest to the rest of the seat. I had to make the openings on the seat a bit longer to run the 1.5 inch strap & for the buckles tied them together from inside using cable ties. & as for the adjustable side, sent the strap thru the cut in the seat & took it out between the seat & the door. Not sure whether I made any sense :( if you are not clear, let me know i'll post some pics.

@ LiftedUp
Police Strobe lights - I bought the unit from DealExtreme (DX.com), it's pretty easy to setup.
By uhcoogmikey
Incredible work asanjayf! I have the black F150 PowerWheel which I would like to mod as well.

Thanks for the traction band size, I can now go pick that up. Where did you get the side view mirrors at?

Also as I am a n00b at this, did you have to solder any wiring for all of the mods you did?
By asanjayf
Hi uhcoogmikey,

Side view mirrors are are actually mirror effect boards (~ 12" X 12") which you can cut out any shape & paste like a sticker. Its not just something shiny but actual mirror. I bought it from Walmart (Auto section) & was around $10 I think.

As for the wiring, I soldered some & just twisted wires together & covered with insulation taped others. But As you can see in Pic 1, most connections were done using wire connectors.

I haven't seen the black F150 Raptor, good luck with modifying & pls let me know if you need any info on the mods I have done.
By gratefuldad
If this is your 1st build than You are in for some Serious Trouble, My Man!

Clean, creative and resourceful, Great Build!

Wait until Speed becomes an issue :twisted:
By drew510
asanjayf wrote:As for the wiring, I soldered some & just twisted wires together & covered with insulation taped others. But As you can see in Pic 1, most connections were done using wire connectors.
You are asking for problems by taking shortcuts like that. These things jar around like you wouldn't believe and connections like that will come lose and short out. Just sayin' 8-)
By asanjayf
@ gratefuldad

Thanks for your comment :)

I just wanted to maintain the original look as much as possible & do a neat job.

Speed is not the main concern right now but the driving part :) My 2 1/2 year old is not yet a 'good' driver, so just waiting till he masters the basics.

BTW, does anyone know whether I need to upgrade the motors or gear box if I decide to increase the speed by upgrading the battery power to 18v or higher?

@ drew510

Thanks for the tip, I have done the short cuts only for some basic connections... all others are connected using plugs or by soldering. anyway good point :)

More pics of the F150
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG (50.83 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG (65.07 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG (71.77 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG (67.66 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG (40.47 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG (56.62 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
IMG_0483.JPG
IMG_0483.JPG (55.15 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG (65.11 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG (79.9 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
By asanjayf
Hi All,
I'm planning to do a little bit of upgrade to my Son's Raptor by fixing a Bull Guard / Crash Bar / Safety bar (whatever you call it) :?
Attached herewith a basic sketch of how I want it to look like & I have no idea how I'm going to fix it to the body or what I'm going to use. Perhaps PVC pipes painted dull black.
Has anyone done this before & any thoughts? ideas?
0074677502768_AV_500X500.jpg
0074677502768_AV_500X500.jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 10499 times
By cibersay
I'm in the process of sketching up the bullbars and rear roll bar a.k.a. light brar for the f150 raptor as well. I think PVC is really the best way to go about it unless you have access to a welder.

By the way, where did you find the red/blue strobe lights? All i can find online is either cheap crap or amber/blue not the real police lights.
By asanjayf
Thanks, I'm planning to do it with PVC pipes. Have to figure out a way to fix it neatly to the truck.
As for the Police strobe lights, I can't remember the vendor, but I bought it from Amazon. Just type "police strobe lights" in Amazon, you'll get plenty of items.
By fullyauto12
Man you did an awesome job man!!! I have a couple questions that I hope you can answer so I can attempt to make it as awesome as yours!!
1.) Where did you get the head light?
2.) Did you your an extra power source to power the all of the lights?

Thanks a lot!!
Again awesome job man!!!
By asanjayf
@ fullyauto12 - Thanks, compliments are always a motivation ;)

1.) I bought the headlights from ebay, there are LED pin type lights generally used for spot lights in houses.
2.) All the lights are powered by separate two 6v batteries so that it wont drain the main 12v battery :mrgreen:

Let me know if you need anything else, always a pleasure to help :P
By Rokmunky1974
Nicely done! I have always liked the look of the Raptor... way to make it even better!
By asanjayf
Hi All,
I would appreciate an expert advice on this matter.
I want to upgrade my Son’s Raptor to 18v & I understand that I cannot do that with the existing (original) motors. Hence thought of buying more powerful motors from M.L. Toys, like below:

http://www.mltoys.net/zencart/index.php ... ts_id=1455

However the issue is, I don’t live in USA anymore, I returned back to my country, Sri Lanka, last February. Hence I’m going to ask one of my friends who will also be coming back from USA to buy & bring it for me. In case if it does not fit or not the right one, I would be in trouble. So need to make sure I’m ordering the exact right one.

Also in the M.L. Toys website they have mentioned the below:
“Motors are safe for up to 18 volts. We strongly recommend using Metal First Gears when running 18 volts or more”.

What are these Metal First Gears & is it essential? If so how do I replace them?
Thanks in advance.
New Here!

Welcome! I haven't done too many mechanical mods […]

Voltages

Voltage surge is characterized as the unexpected a[…]

Upgrading old Gator

Currently modifying my sons old gator. He loves wo[…]

My kids have grown beyond these. Here are a few o[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course