KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By iDz Bowl
Hey guys, I posted this at some of my favorite G.I.Joe websites, but since you guys inspired me, I figured I'd show you my work in progress here!

Hey guys! While I was in the middle of my Tiger Quest custom project, I stumbled over a heck of a deal on a Power Wheel F150 Flashback, it's a super 6v. I was digging around on Craigslist and I was able to find this truck for $20.00 right down the street from me. Now you may be asking yourself, why would someone my age be looking for a Power Wheel? Easy answer, I have kids. So, I went and looked at, it was pretty beat up, but it ran really good. This is what the original looked like, brand new:

Let's just say it didn't look that pretty when I bought it. So I started tearing it apart, so I could clean it up (inside and out) and get it ready for a repaint. Here's what it looked like after I tore it down:

I finally got off all the decals, in which I learned a couple new tricks. I don't know if they apply to old G.I.Joe vehicles, but they worked here.

I used a heat gun to loosen up the decals then I sprayed WD-40 on all the remaining sticky areas and wallahh, they cleaned up nicely:

I was even able to get the pin-stripes and the other tough stuff off this way, unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of that.

Now, with just the body in front of me, I took off all the small parts. I started priming and painting these:

Then of course, let's go Tiger Force, cuz that's what I do!

Once all the main painting got completed, I started detailing:

Tonight I have to touch up the grill a little and clear coat it. I still have to add the teeth on the sides and the eyes. All that and I'm converting it up to an 12v (or18v) from a 6v, thanks to help from the guys over at ModifiedPowerWheels.com. Once the new batteries are installed and some rewiring; I will add some ground effects, front and rear lights, and a mp3/fm radio. I will update this as well as my Tiger Quest while I'm finishing them up. But this explains why I've taken a short break from my other custom. My kids come first! Plus, incorperating G.I.Joe into it has made it extremely fun for me!

Here's a picture of a Tiger Force vehicle from the G.I.Joe vintage line, so you understand what I'm going for:

By iDz Bowl
Here's a little update. I'm in the process of putting the lights in now. Thanks in advance to Nik. Also thanks to Jeff for the hookup on the battery!

By iDz Bowl
nblondie wrote:That came out awesome!! Are those decals?? Did you do those or order them??
I made all the decals from various products, such as Avery™ and Con-Tact™ paper. Application was slightly different than just sticking them on there, but I explained that to you in the p.m. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm actually onto the electrical now. I have a mp3 player and speaker system torn apart on my desk and I'm waiting on my lights from Nik, which should be here really soon! :D I did cut out the lenses and holes for my headlights. I left the blackouts on the grill area, because it looks good. I placed the headlights in the fog light area instead. They wont be as noticeable during the day and they'll light up his path at night perfectly fine. I took the decals off the hood, made smaller ones and put them just beyond the eyes. It looks a lot better. It also gives me room to add my hood gun! haha I've got some good ideas for this. Can't wait for it to be done though, I want him to have fun!
Last edited by iDz Bowl on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
By iDz Bowl
Ok, some of the lights are on it! The brake lights are awesome! I'm super stoked about these. You'll notice in the pictures that the truck isn't completely back together yet. I still have to add some switches, the mp3 player, some more lights, and the weapons. But enjoy these pictures for now. Hopefully the upcoming video will show how they really look in the dark, the camera doesn't do them justice!

Brake lights, in the dark and in the light:

Headlights/Fog Lights:

Underbody Neon green lights:

Talk you all soon! Getting this done is crucial ! haha
By iDz Bowl
Just some new update pictures for you! Sorry, my camera sucks!
IMAG0261-1-2.jpg
IMAG0261-1-2.jpg (157.01 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
IMAG0262-1-1.jpg
IMAG0262-1-1.jpg (121.06 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
IMAG0265-1.jpg
IMAG0265-1.jpg (86.99 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
Big props to Nik for the light set I bought. He not only got it to me fast, he also answered my every question in detail.
He'll make anything you want, my set is exactly what I wanted.

My buddy and I are working on the radio tonight. I'm also installing another set of lights on top. My buddy and I are ex-car audio installers and he really wants to add a sub. The mp3 player that I'm throwing in wouldn't really support that, so who knows which direction we're gonna go. I guess you'll know when I know :mrgreen:
By iDz Bowl
Can you see my kid cruisin down the sidewalk in this thing at night bumpin some Rage Against the Machine??? haha Don't worry, I'll make sure the songs are editted!
By iDz Bowl
Some quick pictures of the finished results of the lights on the vehicle. All I have to do now is tuck away some wires, clean it up, apply the last two decals, and it's done until the radio goes in (that'll be over the winter).

Here are the pics from last night:

Fronts and neons:

Brake lights and neons:

By modmom32
AS far as this build.... Wow!!!! My son saw this about 3 days ago, He loved it. There is a guy down the street with 5 PWs in a junk trailer. its been waiting for haul for 3 yrs. I told him I would be glad to help with getting rid of the PWs so I am waiting. However....... just for parts, lol, he's too big for them now. Your project rocks though no doubt. thx for comment on other topic ;)
By iDz Bowl
Thanks! I was actually thinking about adding a NOS switch in here, but I think that I decided against it. I don't want to hurt the motors. I do think I'm going to attempt to lift it though. It's pretty quick with the 12v upgrade, I think it would be fun if he could do a little "off the concrete" driving. It has no problem in the yard, but it takes bumps hard and I want it to be able to get over some things without problems. We'll see. I just gotta throw it all back together this week and if the rain lets up, he'll be driving! I'm gonna do the radio work this winter. It's a lot nicer to work on that in my basement when there's no time pressure or cold weather to deal with!

I am having the exact same issue with my sons rapt[…]

can we get a little more info like make and model […]

So one of the motors burned out on my kids Viper. […]

I have a Power Wheels Duner racer. I upgraded it t[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course